This month I am talking about washing hands and why it is so important.
We have ALL heard about the devastation COVID-19 is causing around the world at the moment. It seems to be the only thing anyone can talk about and think about, but this is largely because it is so unprecedented and is having catastrophic affects in many countries.
In the UK, we are being told to wash our hands thoroughly and regularly to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This means definitely before we eat and after we have been to the toilet but also any time we do anything i.e. take the bins out, use a door handle, touch surfaces in a shop etc. It means we should all be washing our hands far more often than we are used to and probably a lot more thoroughly than we used to.
Below are the simple steps to follow when washing your hands:
- Wet your hands with water
- Apply enough soap to cover your hands
- Rub your hands together
- Use one hand to rub the back of the other hand and clean in between the fingers. Do the same with the other hand
- Rub your hands together and clean in between your fingers
- Rub the back of your fingers against your palms
- Rub your thumb using your other hand. Do the same with the other thumb
- Rub the tips of your fingers on the palm of your other hand. Do the same with other hand
- Rinse your hands with water
- Dry your hands completely with a disposable towel
- Use the disposable towel to turn off the tap.
If you don’t have access to soap and water after touching things when out and about, make sure you use alcohol based handrub if available.
These instructions are so simple but as another way to think about.. imagine you need to put a contact in your eye and you have just been cutting a super spicy hot chilli, you are going to scrub your hands hard aren’t you?!
If visual is more your thing then check out this Facebook video of someone showing how you need to wash your hands in a way that makes sure you get all the germs. Simply copy and paste it into your web page to get it working. https://www.facebook.com/paulinepantsdown666/videos/1737454763062839/UzpfSTUwMTgwODE3NzoxMDE1NzM4NDkzOTUyMzE3OA/?fref=search&__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBiCfG6lNXWhtjqMy6stsYFN-jNcEAnZ1JTePwHs6TwXjvKidBlK2DMEg0JBUz1ErDdC1eV2bWdHZ9D
If you would like to get more information on first aid principles, learn some interesting first aid facts and maybe test yourself on your own first aid knowledge then sign up to my email list using this link: https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/f5g9n9 to receive my monthly newsletter.