January always seems to be the time to make our business plans for the coming 12 months, and whilst I have done this, I think it is also a great opportunity for me to look back at the fantastic, fun and varied training sessions I have run throughout 2021. So I hope you will indulge me and sit back and enjoy a short round up of the last 12 months of Andersson First Aid Training..
Well I should probably start by saying this round up is really only seven months as the first half of 2021 I was enjoying the company of my baby daughter! Whilst Covid put a bit of a dampener on maternity leave by stopping activities, parent get togethers and the like, I had a great time building a bond with her and dealing with eat, sleep, poop repeat.
When May came along, I started slowly coming back to teaching, balancing the juggle of two little ones, Covid ups and downs and of course beginning all the sales and marketing associated with running your own business and finding people to organise courses for! Rather than give you a summary of every single course I ran in 2021 (there were 27 by the way, attended by 394 people!) I thought I would break them down by type and give my favourite memories to you:
Emergency First Aid at Work
- Course overview: A one day course which gives a regulated and accredited qualification valid for three years. It gives a general overview of First Aid and satisfies the requirements of the HSE. Whilst it obviously has specific objectives, I aim to make sure everyone goes away having thought about their own personal work environment and takes more confidence they would know what to do if a serious situation needed their help.
- Who attends: I run these courses as bookable or private courses;
- The bookable courses are run x1 a month and are available at different venues in East and West Sussex and SW London. They are attended by individuals or small businesses who only need 1 or 2 people trained. I have had bar staff, chefs, office managers, tennis coaches, event managers, production managers, warehouse staff, physios, to name a few attend.
- The private courses are organised by businesses who would like to train their whole team at their own work environment. This is a great opportunity for an informal team build (as they all laugh and get to know each other well!) and also feel more confident in the work location as we discuss possible situations and challenges as we look around the venue.
- Favourite memory: The stories! Without fail on every course I run, at least 2 -3 people have had to deal with some form of first aid situation and often there is an interesting twist to the story shared. I had one attendee say, “I can vouch for you saying do not put anything in the mouth of someone having a seizure, I tried to get a sandwich out of my friends’ mouth whilst he was having a seizure and he bit down on my hand for two minutes!”.
- 2022: My bookable courses are available up until April at the moment. February is already fully booked so do get in touch early to join. I have space for private courses from Mid-February onwards so please get in touch to book if this is of interest.
Baby and child first aid for home
- Course overview: A short two-hour course covering the basics of first aid to make soon to be parents, new parents, parents of multiples, parents of toddlers (you get the idea!), grandparents, friends and general family feel more comfortable looking after babies and children at home.
- Who attends: Like the EFAW, I run these courses as bookable or private courses;
- The bookable courses are available alternate months in person at a venue in Haywards Heath and online via zoom. He in person courses are daytime and zoom evening to cater for the different times and opportunities people have to join a course.
- The private courses are organised by families, NCT groups, abumpsababy groups and similar to learn the skills together with people they know in a venue and at a time chosen by them.
- Favourite memory: The baby cuddles 😊 Most courses tend to have babies in attendance. The bookable courses are welcome to bring babes in arms (Under 6mths) and home courses have all ages depending on the time of day. When mums and dads are trying out different first aid techniques, guess who gets to hold the babies to watch?!
- 2022: My bookable courses are running monthly at the moment with the next being in person in Haywards Heath on 9th February and the following month online on 16th March. I am running private courses at times that work for families and friends and have spaces available for these from next month.
First Aid for Mental Health
- Course overview: A Level 1 – 3 (Awareness/First Aider/Supervisor) regulated and accredited course available in person or online via distance learning. This fantastic course gives an overview of a number of mental health conditions and discussed ways to have a conversation with someone you are worried about and ways to implement a mental health action plan in the workplace.
- Who attends: Like the two courses above, I run these on a bookable and private course basis;
- The bookable courses I run are the level 2 First Aid for Mental Health courses online via distance learning. I run these every few months and attendees have included event managers, hairdressers and hospitality individuals.
- The private courses are run by businesses who want to ensure their whole team, or a large amount of their team are aware of how to support others in their office or work environment with their mental health. The companies that have booked these courses, generally take mental health very seriously and want to have the opportunity to gain more tools and understanding to support those in the work environment.
- Favourite memory: Seeing the physical relief of some attendees being able to talk about their own struggles and/or stop the fear that they need to have all the answers when it comes to mental health. This can be an emotive course for some but every feedback after this course has been positive and attendees all feel so much more positive about supporting those around them.
- 2022: I am running a bookable First Aid for Mental Health course next week and one on the 22nd March. I also have space for private courses of any of the levels, plus First Aid for Youth Mental Health, for anyone interesting in discussing dates and options.
Paediatric First Aid
- Course overview: A one day or twoday first aid course for anyone who looks after children in a work capacity. The one day course is an overview of all areas of First Aid and the two day drills down into a number of first aid areas whilst giving a qualification which satisfies EYFS and Ofsted.
- Who attends: I run private courses for school teachers and support staff, nannies and childminders.
- Favourite memory: Hearing teachers all call each other Mr X or Mrs Y. For some reason I find it funny and feel like a pupil! When they use first names I then feel like I am in on a secret 😉
- 2022: I am running a number of these courses on school inset days and am discussing with a group a nannies and childminders organising a course for them all together. If you would like to join a group course like this please let me know!
First Aid for Children
- Course overview: A bespoke course dependent on age and/or a mini medics certificate qualification course covering areas like how to call 999, how to help a friend choking, how to put on a bandage for a cut, and for older children how to perform CPR.
- Who attends: I teach different elements of First Aid to different age groups. Youngest age is 3 years old learning how to call 999 through to 13 years old learning a variety of First Aid techniques.
- Favourite memory: Teaching 240 children from Year 1 to Year 8 on the same day! Split over 8 different 30-45 minute lesson slots, I taught the children on rotation. It was fantastic seeing them all take away little bits of information useful to them and have fun doing it.
- 2022: I will be going into more schools in 2022 teaching students basic first aid. If you would like to organise sessions at your school please get in touch to discuss options.
2021 was a fantastic year for me and I cannot wait to see what 2022 brings! I am already having a great time teaching a variety of courses this month; I’ve held two school inset day Emergency Paediatric courses, an Emergency First Aid at Work bookable course in London, am off to a baby and child private course for a family at their home later today and next week am looking forward to a distance learning First Aid for Mental Health course specifically for event professionals to round off the month! If you are interested in joining one of my bookable courses or organising your own private course for either your team at work or homelife, please do pop me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a call 07957 956906, I would love to look at options for you. Happy 2022! May it bring you everything you are looking for.